I’ve recently been re-watching some older (2015) YouTube videos from my fave nail polish girls, and one I particularly loved was the “All About Polish” tag they came up with. I’ll link to all their videos below (: I decided to make their video collab into a blog post because the questions were so fun and I loved hearing everyone’s answers!
Here it goes…
1. What is you favourite nail polish finish (eg. creme, crelly, glitter, etc)?
Personally, I love glitter nail polish! I tend to always have some glitter on, whether it’s a full manicure or an accent nail. However, I also love a good creme polish, and it comprises about 80% of my collection.
2. What is your favourite “pretty ugly” shade?
I don’t think I actually have one of these! I had a Spoiled nail polish (Wet n Wild brand at CVS) called Thanks A Latte, which was kind of mannequin hands and I really disliked it on my skintone! But for one that I actually like… I recently discovered one yellow that (while still clashing with my skintone) looks kind of nice. It’s NYC’s Taxi Yellow Creme, which is 99 cents at the drugstore. I’ve had it for years but never tried it!
3. Which polish in your collection is the most sentimental to you?
Probably Deborah Lippmann’s Just Dance. I had been lusting after Deborah Lippmann (or the high price tag – let’s be real) for a long time, and once I was at Marshalls or TJ Maxx with my boyfriend and came across this polish. He ended up buying it for me without me knowing, and it was the first polish he ever bought me *heart* It’s also BEAUTIFUL.
I also have a really old (reaaalllyy old) polish from Sally Hansen called Pink Chrome (I think). It was my grandma’s, one of her faves, and when I was maybe age 8 she let me have it. I painted my nails until the bottle was almost empty. I’m 23 now and I still have it. While I don’t use it anymore, I won’t throw it out.
4. If you could go back in time and buy any collection, what would it be? I was never one to seek full collections, but I was really excited when I found out China Glaze was doing “The Giver” collection! One of my all time fave books (we won’t discuss the movie here). I didn’t find the polishes until they were on clearance at Sally, so I have six of them, but I would definitely go back and find the rest! I especially wanted “Capacity to See Beyond” and I never got it.
5. What is your go-to “all occasion” polish? When in doubt, I go nude. My favourite nude polish is Essie Topless & Barefoot, which was a purchase also inspired by Zenorah! I also really love baby pink creme polishes (like Essie Fiji), though I don’t wear them as often. NOTD coming soon – and I’ll link it here.
6. What items are essential to your nail care routine? Cuticle oil and cuticle butter, and a good nail file! I’ve been using the ELF Cuticle Pen, Burts Bees butter, and a Beauty Secrets nail file from Sally Beauty. I also love the Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover.
7. What is your favourite “newly discovered” brand (indie or mainstream)? This might be crazy, but Zoya! Zoya isn’t readily available in my area, so I only had 3 before I participated in the recent 4 free polishes sale (mini haul coming soon!) I love all 7 that I own. They’re like another level of mainstream polish!
8. What is your go-to “bad ass” colour (the colour that makes you feel sexiest or most bad ass)? My new fave combo has GOT to be my concert nails I posted a couple of weeks ago. It has hands down been my favourite (and definitely most badass) manicure that I’ve done. It was 2 coats of OPI Cosmo with a Twist, and 2 coats of OPI Comet in the Sky. Here’s the blog post!
9. Indie or Mainstream?
Unfortunately, I don’t own any indie polishes! I really want some. They all look so beautiful, I don’t know where to start. So I guess I will say mainstream, part of the reason my collection is all mainstream is how easy it is to get them, and how affordable (sometimes) they are. Plus, it’s easy to find them on clearance at places like Sally Beauty Supply, and couponing! My most viewed/read post is how I save money on Essie polishes (without buying online) which you can read here if interested.
10. Which brand’s collections do you most look forward to? Hmm… I guess I am going to have to go with China Glaze on this one. Like I mentioned, I don’t frequently purchase from collections or seek them out, but I love that they have collections that follow books (The Giver, Hunger Games) and their polishes are beautiful and unique for mainstream, in my opinion. I really love their coloured microglitters!
Thank you all for reading! I loved doing this tag, and if you do it too, be sure to let me know!
The ladies mentioned!
Zenorah – https://youtu.be/o5NlENvRltY
Holly – https://youtu.be/y8hShnLgLmU
Lindsay – https://youtu.be/H4dGD66733o
Hannah – https://youtu.be/jotmYsA-8io
Jess – https://youtu.be/NXiy6RJlFSg